Sunday 21 November 2010

Fr. Kelly of Dunvant: A Holy Servant of God

Fr Peter Kelly of Dunvant Parish
Many thanks from your webmaster to all the parishioners who prayed, said the Rosary and had Masses said for the time I was in hospital. There are too many people to name, but you are all in my prayers also and I will be eternally grateful to you all for your invaluable help and support in every way.

Of course special thanks to our own Parish Priest Fr. Paul Joseph who helped in so many ways.

There is also a special mention to a very special soul who this trying time brought me into contact with: Swansea-based priest Fr. Kelly, who's vocation is to visit the patients of Singleton Hospital. Indeed this kindly and charitable soul came to me on every day and it meant that almost every day I could receive Holy Communion (one day I could not because despite visiting twice that day, Fr Kelly either found me in too much pain or asleep).

I really have nothing but praise for this wonderful man of God whose calling enables him to give so much hope, joy and comfort to those in pain, worrying, recovering, alone etc. To see his smiling face, hear him blessing the patients and staff, as they in turn would call "goodnight Father" after the silver haired priest all in black, it is one of most endearing memories of my stay in hospital and always brings a smile to my face.

A fellow patient told me that Fr Kelly had been there for his own mother when she was in the hospital some decades before.

It reminds one of how the Catholic Priesthood can still mean a great deal, can bring so much succour to souls in need, is still (despite media assaults and rare scandals) a truly Holy Calling.

Even now when I get pains or am weary as I recover, the smiling face and truly charitable nature of the kindly Fr Kelly truly lifts my soul. If ever a man was sent by Our Lord and Our Lady to help those who need it I think Fr Kelly is that man.

Our diocese is very lucky to have such a priest.

Thank you and God Bless you Fr Kelly of Dunvant Parish. You and your vocation will always be in my prayers.


Link:
Diocese of Menevia on Fr kelly's 60th Anniversary of Ordination (lots of very interesting biographical information on this wonderful priest).

No comments: